I’m feeling the need for a little honesty regarding this little thing happening in November… you may have heard but our country has this tiny event approaching called the PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. In this media-driven age we live in, basically all I see from my friends on “either side” is negativity, criticism, and downright hate. Here’s my little vent session, basically so I can get it off my chest and feel better:
First- My Beliefs:
- I believe that it is our civic duty to vote, and all eligible should exercise that right.
- I lean socially more liberal, but conservative in basically all other areas, so picking a candidate requires I educate myself rather than just “pick a side.”
Vote for the
Perfect Best Candidate who’s views align most closely with yours.
NO CANDIDATE is going to make everyone happy. Realistically, no candidate is going to meet 100% of your needs in their platform. This is why we operate on a system of checks and balances. People are seriously hung up on the “extremist” views of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders but in reality, should either of them be our next President, they will have to jump through serious hoops to try and make their more radical plans a reality. So take a breath, people! For example, if Bernie Sanders gets elected, the wealthiest 2%’s taxes aren’t going to skyrocket the next day…
With advances in technology, there is more Presidential scrutiny every year. Y’all, these Presidents’ serve in 4-year terms… Our current one is at the end of his 2nd term. Think about technology 8 years ago… When I voted in the 2008 election, I was a college freshman with a LG En-V 3 maroon flip phone, a baby pink digital camera, and an active MySpace page. Of course President Obama is harshly criticized, and of course he is being challenged on decisions he has made similar to presidents before him who did not get the same blow back. And OF COURSE republican’s have deemed him the “worst President ever” because- DUH- conservative people obviously don’t agree with his liberal views & decisions! That’s how this two-party system we have works. This would be happening in some capacity no matter who our current President is, or what party they represent.
Reality- EVERY President from here on out will continue to be painstakingly scrutinized by society thanks to our advances in technology, “bandwagon” mindset, and quick nature to make posts “viral” without doing our research and collecting factual data.
As a Nation, I am afraid we will never be 100% happy with any President. Unfortunately, I believe if our brutal nature continues, serving two-terms will become a thing of the past, because each President will be “such a disgrace” that we “have to” get someone new in the White House. Candidates will also continue to flip back and forth between parties because when one is “the worst President ever,” some people will be encouraged to vote in the other direction, or people who regularly don’t vote will hit the polls. You also have to keep our young voters in mind… Whoever can captivate the 18-24 year old audience will always have an advantage for sure.
How we can Make a Difference:
- Rather than obsessively bash whichever candidate(s) you’re unhappy with, instead highlight why you’re preferred candidate is the best choice. “Kill ’em with kindness” as they say, and truly educate your friends and family in the process. Because seriously- ain’t nobody got time to read through a war zone every day on their Facebook feed… Less Trump meme’s and more cat videos, please!
- If you’re concerned about extremists, understand that whatever happens, we are still a democracy and there are many, many people who will keep our next President “in-line.” Checks and balances, my friends.
- Quit comparing our Presidents and/or Presidential candidates to those of the past… technology and media is a whole different ball game now, and continuously getting more aggressive. I’m willing to bet every President has had plenty of poor decision-making and “dirty laundry” that just never got out…